- Summer Term
- Apprentice Program
- High Peaks Adventure
- Adult Programs
- Educators Expedition
- Lake County Backpacking Trip
HMI Gap – Apply Now
Who should apply?
HMI Gap students are looking to discover more about themselves and the world around them, while thinking critically to address real-world problems. Our outdoor curriculum is designed to go into great depth to develop your technical skills, judgment, and experience in a variety of settings. While no experience is necessary, you should have a strong interest in being in remote and field-based environments. We interact with many different organizations and individuals throughout our journey. We ask that students be prepared to be respectful, professional, and open to differing opinions and worldviews.
Students ages 18-22 are welcome to apply.
When are applications due?
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage you to apply early, as space is limited.
How do I apply for the HMI Gap?
A complete application will include the following:
- A complete online application. You will have the option to begin your application and return to it at any point until you are ready to submit. You will receive a confirmation email from the admissions office at HMI when your application is completed.
- One recommendation form from a teacher and/or advisor. You may also use a letter of recommendation from a college application in place of HMI’s recommendation form.
- A copy of your high school transcript
- A copy of your college transcript (if applicable)
- An interview with one of the HMI Gap program administrators. The interview is intended to get to know you better and ensure that the program is consistent with your interests. You may schedule an interview by contacting Becca Schild, Co-Director of HMI Gap, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 719-486-8200 x115.
- Financial aid application if you intend to apply for need-based financial aid.
High Mountain Institute
531 CR 5A
Leadville, CO 80461
Once your application is complete, we will send you a decision letter of acceptance and enrollment agreement. A 10% tuition deposit and signed enrollment agreement are due three weeks after receipt of your enrollment packet. The remaining tuition balance is due by July 15th for the fall and October 15th for the spring.
HMI strives to ensure an excellent fit for our students with the programming we offer. For this reason, we do not pay commissions for referrals from educational consultants.