- Summer Term
- Apprentice Program
- High Peaks Adventure
- Adult Programs
- Educators Expedition
- Lake County Backpacking Trip
HMI helped grow our daughter's passion. She took her love of the environment to Leadville, and came back with a meaning and purpose behind it. Thank you for your generous support in helping our daughter attend HMI; we will never forget what you did for our family.
Semester 27 Alumna Parent
Dates, Tuition, & Financial Aid
HMI Semester 2017-2018 Dates & Tuition
|August 21 - December 17, 2017||January 24 - May 27, 2018|
Tuition, Room & Board
Student Account (refunded if unused)
HMI is proud of our ability to make our programs affordable for families with diverse incomes by offering “need-based” financial aid. What does this mean? Click here.
Students from non-member independent schools should check with their schools to understand their policies regarding tuition remission.
Families who wish to be considered for financial aid should submit their financial aid application at the same time as the program application deadline (February 15 for the HMI Semester, Summer Term, Apprentice Program, and High Peaks Adventure). Financial Aid applications for the HMI Gap are due on April 1.
Calculating Financial Aid
HMI uses School and Student Services (SSS), a service of the National Association of Independent Schools, to process financial aid applications. SSS provides schools with an estimated amount each family can contribute to educational expenses. This then helps the school make fair and objective financial aid decisions.
To begin your financial aid application please visit SSS by NAIS.
You may download this guide from SSS for more information regarding how to complete a financial aid application. Specific questions about the SSS application are best directed to the SSS Help Desk, accessible via phone at 800-344-8328.
The HMI school code is 2096.
Financial Aid Policies
Financial aid policies vary widely between different sending schools. The following list details the policies that govern financial aid for the HMI Semester and Summer Term:
- For priority consideration, the financial aid application should be completed by the same date as the application deadline. For the HMI Gap, applications should be completed by April 1. After this, need-based funds are awarded as available.
- All financial aid awards, with the exception of the Lake County Scholarships, are based on need as determined by the Financial Aid Committee.
- Parents are expected to support the student to the extent they are able, as determined by SSS (School and Student Service for Financial Aid) and the High Mountain Institute.
- In cases of divorce or separation, each parent should complete the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS).
- If either parent remarries, the financial information of the stepparent must be included on the PFS.
- It is essential that financial aid applicants complete and file all application forms and required tax forms on time. After submitting the Personal Financial Statement (PFS), families must still upload all of the following tax forms that apply: 1040, W2, 1099, and any schedules filed with the return.
- All financial aid records are kept confidential. Only the Financial Aid Committee has access to financial aid information.
- Upon acceptance to the HMI Semester students are asked to pay a non-refundable deposit of $2,848 and return a signed Enrollment Agreement. This deposit is applied to the cost of tuition.
- HMI provides transportation to & from Denver International Airport at the start and end of each semester, as well as during semester breaks. Students are required to provide their own transportation to and from their home and Denver International Airport.
- Books, school supplies, and personal outdoor clothing and equipment are additional costs. We ask students to set up a student account with us to cover these expenses. At the end of the program, an itemized bill and refund of any unused student account will be sent home six weeks after the semester ends.
- Group camping equipment such as stoves and tents are provided by HMI. Upon acceptance, students will receive a list of required clothing and equipment. We also provide suggestions for affordable purchase of quality gear from retailers around the country. In addition, many items are also available for rental from HMI.
For further questions about tuition, expenses, and financial aid, please contact the admissions office at 719-486-8200 X1.