- Summer Term
- Apprentice Program
- High Peaks Adventure
- Adult Programs
- Educators Expedition
- Lake County Backpacking Trip
Explore Wild Patagonia
April 24, 2018
Join us for an HMI Friends and Family Expedition to Patagonia next winter!
Central Patagonia is one of the few remaining wild regions in the world. Experience the magic of HMI in an awe-inspiring setting. Join fellow HMI alumni, friends, and family on an extended wilderness trek through the future Patagonia National park while exploring the many wonders of the Aysen region.
HMI has been running courses in this area since 2015 for our Gap Semesters. We are excited to introduce our extended family to this beautiful and rich area.
- Backpack through the breathtaking glacial valleys of the future Patagonia National Park
- Witness and learn about conservation in action to protect this unique and irreplaceable landscape
- Explore and experience the distinct culture of Patagonia
- Become part of a community of shared responsibility committed to personal growth, exploration, and adventure
Hostel in Chile Chico (4 nights), backcountry camping (4 nights), backcountry hut (1 night)
Itinerary: January 2 – 10, 2019
- January 2: Arrive in Chile Chico; welcome and introductions
- January 3: Local town exploration; day hike in Valle de la Luna and Cuevo de los Manos; expedition prep; dinner in town
- January 4: Drive to Parque Patagonia headquarters; explore the headquarters and history of Conservacion Patagonica; camp at trail head to Valle Aviles
- January 5: Hike up Valle Aviles; 5-6 miles and 1500 feet of elevation; set-up camp; evening discussion and Circle
- January 6: Hike up Valle Aviles into Valle Hermosa, 5-6 miles and 1500 feet of elevation; evening discussion and Circle
- January 7: Hike down Valle Hermosa 3-4 miles; afternoon of exploration and/or relaxation
- January 8: Hike to backcountry hut; learn about eco-tourism efforts in the park
- January 9: Hike to Lago Verde; get picked up at 4 pm and return to Chile Chico
- January 10: Deissue; Asado celebration; final Circle
- January 11: Evaluations and departure
Price includes all meals from mid-day January 2nd to breakfast January 11th; all accommodations; airport transportation (if desired); transportation to and from Parque Patagonia; and group gear.