What We Do
Students come to HMI for life-changing experiences during a semester or summer of high school, or in the years immediately following for a semester of a gap year. Our teacher fellowship program works with college graduates beginning a career in education, and our Educators Expedition offers summer professional development for teachers and school administrators. From our campus high in the Rocky Mountains to the wilds of Patagonia, our students travel into the wilderness and foster communities of shared responsibility, creating the foundation for rigorous intellectual experiences.
HMI at a glance
- HMI is an accredited, not-for-profit independent school and gap year provider
- Our semester program awards academic credit for classes that align with course requirements at sending schools across the country.
- Approximately 150 motivated, high-achieving students and 30 adults participate in HMI programs each year
- All HMI programs combine exploration of the natural world with intellectual pursuits and intentional community
- All HMI programs involve backpacking; some also involve rock climbing and backcountry skiing
- No previous outdoor experience is necessary to participate; many of our students are new to these activities
- HMI awards over $800,000 annually in need-based financial aid
HMI is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization that welcomes students of diverse racial, ethnic, social-economic, and geographic backgrounds. We are a fully accredited school through The Association of Colorado Independent Schools, The Association of Experiential Education, and The American Gap Association. Further, we are a member of The National Association of Independent Schools, The Semester School Network, The National Business Officers Association, and The Colorado Diversity Network.
Justin Talbot is HMI’s designated Title IX Coordinator under the provisions of the federal Education Amendments Act of 1972 and also the employee designated as Coordinator under section 504 of the federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Justin may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719-486-8200, ext 111.