Applications for Fall '21 and Spring '22 are due February 15th, 2021
To apply for the HMI Semester:
- Complete our online application, including responses to the three essay questions listed below. Note: our online application platform is hosted on a secure, third-party site.
- Submit your current transcript, by having your high school email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your transcript should include your most recent fall semester/trimester grades.
- Solicit two teacher recommendations, with at least one coming from a core academic teacher (humanities, math, etc.) who taught you this year or last. The second may come from any current or past teacher, mentor, counselor, coach, etc. Please ask your teachers to visit www.hminet.org/teacherrec to fill out the form on your behalf. The “Application Status” box in your online application will update within 2-3 business days when we have received one or both of your recommendations.
- If applying for financial aid, please have your parent(s)/guardian(s) submit a complete financial aid application by February 15.
- There is no fee to apply to HMI, although there is a $51 fee to submit a financial aid application. This fee is automatically waived for families of a certain income level and below. If your application fee is not automatically waived, but you feel you cannot afford the expense at this time, please contact us for a fee waiver.
Application essay questions (answer all three):
You may choose to answer one of the three essays with a video recording of yourself. If you choose this option, you still need to answer the other two essays in written format. Click here for more information about this option.
1. What do you hope to gain from the HMI Semester?
400 word maximum
2. We believe every student brings a unique perspective that strengthens our community. What makes your perspective different from that of your peers?
400 word maximum
3. Which single extracurricular activity are you most passionate about and why? This is not necessarily the extracurricular to which you commit the most time. This can be something that takes place during the academic year and/or over the summer.
400 word maximum
Meet the Admissions Office
The HMI Semester is open to high school juniors and seniors. Students apply as sophomores or juniors to attend for one semester of the following year. As with college admissions, students drive the HMI application process. The student must write their own application essays, solicit their own teacher recommendations, and have their school send us their current transcript.
Applications for fall 2021 / spring 2022 are due by 11:59pm MST on Monday, February 15, 2021.
To start your application, visit our application portal to create your account and begin.
Each year, we receive approximately twice as many applications as we have spots. Applications that stand out contain well-written essays that convey a strong interest in attending HMI. We do not require or prioritize previous outdoor experience in our admissions process. No previous hiking or skiing experience is necessary–just a openness to participating in our extended wilderness expeditions. While students with strong transcripts often score highly in our selection process, you do not have to be a straight-A student to attend HMI. We do our best to evaluate applicants holistically, taking into account teacher recommendations, personal essays, and the academic transcript.
Fall Semester 2021: August 16 – December 17
Spring Semester 2022: January 26 – May 29
We will not be traveling in academic year 2020-21 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We encourage you to visit our Admissions Presentations page and sign up for an evening information webinar this fall/winter.
No, but we do encourage students to submit one of their essay responses in video format.
Admissions decisions will be sent via email on Friday, March 19, 2021 at 5:00pm MDT. Applicants will also be able to view their admissions decision by logging back into their online application portal.
Enrollment agreements are due back to HMI by Friday, April 9 for both the Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 Semesters.
Admissions decisions often end up in applicants’ spam folders. If you still can’t find an email from us after checking your spam folder please let us know by emailing email@example.com.