- Summer Term
- Apprentice Program
- High Peaks Adventure
- Adult Programs
- Educators Expedition
- Lake County Backpacking Trip
When are applications due and who is eligible?
Applications for the Fall Semester 2018 and Spring Semester 2019 are due February 15, 2018.
Students apply for the HMI Semester as high school sophomores in order to attend for a semester of their junior year. Each year we have a small number of seniors (who apply as juniors) join the Semester as well.
How do I apply for the HMI Semester?
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A complete online application, including responses to the three essay questions listed below. Note: our online application platform is hosted on a secure, third-party site.
- A copy of your high school transcript, emailed to us (email@example.com) by your school, including your most recent fall semester/trimester grades.
- Two teacher recommendations forms, with at least one coming from a current core academic teacher (humanities, math, etc.) The second may come from any current or past teacher, mentor, counselor, coach, etc. In order to access the recommendation form, register on the online application platform and input your teacher’s email when prompted. Your teacher will receive an email with the appropriate form, linked to your application.
- A $35 application fee, payable on the online application platform. Application fee waivers are available by request.
- If applying for financial aid, please submit a complete financial aid application by February 15. Financial aid application fee waivers are also available by request.
Application essay questions (answer all three):
1. Please describe a significant event, person, or experience in your life and explain how this force has shaped the person that you are today.
- 2-3 paragraphs (maximum 2,500 characters, including spaces) is an appropriate length.
2. We believe every student brings a unique perspective that strengthens our community. What makes your perspective different from that of your peers?
- 2-3 paragraphs (maximum 2,000 characters, including spaces) is an appropriate length.
3. Which single extracurricular are you most passionate about and why? This is not necessarily the extracurricular to which you commit the most time. Possible answers include a sport, club, volunteer work, summer camp, etc.
- 1-2 paragraphs (maximum 1,500 characters, including spaces) is an appropriate length.
When will I hear if I am accepted?
Admissions decisions will be sent via email on Monday, March 19, 2018. Enrollment agreements are due back to HMI by Monday, April 9 for both the Fall and Spring Semesters.
Is there still space in the upcoming 2018 Spring Semester?
The 2018 Spring Semester (this upcoming spring semester) is currently fully enrolled. Students and families just finding out about HMI can consider applying late to our waitlist, or applying next year to attend HMI as a senior (if currently a junior). For more information about either option contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (719) 486-8200, x1.
To learn about our partner semester schools—some of which are still accepting applications for the upcoming spring semester—visit the Semester School Network website.