- Summer Term
- Apprentice Program
- High Peaks Adventure
- Adult Programs
- Educators Expedition
- Lake County Backpacking Trip
When are applications due and who is eligible?
Applications for the 2019 fall semester and 2020 spring semester are due February 15, 2019.
Students apply for the HMI Semester as high school sophomores in order to attend for a semester of their junior year. Each year we have a small number of seniors (who apply as juniors) join the Semester as well.
Note: We are currently fully enrolled for the upcoming 2019 spring semester but are accepting applications to our spring waitlist. For more information about applying to the waitlist, please email the HMI Admissions Office at email@example.com or call (719) 486-8200 x1.
How do I apply for the HMI Semester?
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A complete online application, including responses to the three essay questions listed below. Note: our online application platform is hosted on a secure, third-party site.
- A copy of your high school transcript, emailed to us (firstname.lastname@example.org) by your school, including your most recent fall semester/trimester grades.
- Two teacher recommendations forms, with at least one coming from a current academic teacher (science, humanities math, etc.) The second may come from any current or past teacher, mentor, counselor, coach, etc. Please ask your teachers to visit https://www.hminet.org/teacherrec to fill out the form on your behalf. The “Application Status” box in your online application account will notify you when we have received one or both of your recommendations.
- A $35 application fee, payable on the online application platform. Application fee waivers are available by request.
- If applying for financial aid, please submit a complete financial aid application by February 15. Financial aid application fee waivers are also available by request.
Application essay questions (answer all three):
1. Please describe a significant event, person, or experience in your life and explain how this force has shaped the person that you are today.
- 2-3 paragraphs (maximum 2,500 characters, including spaces) is an appropriate length.
2. We believe every student brings a unique perspective that strengthens our community. What makes your perspective different from that of your peers?
- 2-3 paragraphs (maximum 2,000 characters, including spaces) is an appropriate length.
3. Which single extracurricular are you most passionate about and why? This is not necessarily the extracurricular to which you commit the most time. Possible answers include a sport, club, volunteer work, summer camp, etc.
- 1-2 paragraphs (maximum 1,500 characters, including spaces) is an appropriate length.
When will I hear if I am accepted?
Admissions decisions will be sent via email on Monday, March 18, 2019 at 5:00pm MDT. Enrollment agreements are due back to HMI by Monday, April 8 for both the Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 Semesters.