- Summer Term
- Semesters in the American West & Patagonia
- Semester in Patagonia
- Andes Leadership Semester
- For Enrolled HMI Gap Students
- Meet the Gap Faculty
- Request Information
- Apprentice Program
- High Peaks Adventure
- Adult Programs
- Educators Expedition
- Lake County Backpacking Trip
HMI Summer Term – Apply Now
When are applications due and who is eligible?
There are two application deadlines for the HMI Summer Term: Early Action and Regular Decision. Early Action applications are due January 15. Regular Decision applications are due February 15 which is also the financial aid application deadline.
The Summer Term is open to applicants currently in 9th, 10th, or 11th grade.
How do I apply for the HMI Summer Term?
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A complete online application, including responses to the two essay questions listed below. Note: our online application platform is hosted on a secure, third-party site.
- A copy of your high school transcript, emailed to us by your school, including your most recent fall semester/trimester grades.
- Two teacher recommendations forms, with at least one coming from a current core academic teacher (humanities, math, etc.) The second may come from any current or past teacher, mentor, counselor, coach, etc. In order to access the recommendation form, register on the online application platform and input your teacher’s email when prompted. Your teacher will receive an email with the appropriate form, linked to your application.
- If applying for financial aid, please submit a complete financial aid application by February 15. If accepted, financial aid awards will be conveyed by early March.
There is no application fee for the HMI Summer Term.
Application essay questions:
1. The HMI Summer Term combines wilderness expeditions, intentional community, and place-based academics. Why does this combination appeal to you?
- 2-3 paragraphs (maximum 2,500 characters, including spaces) is an appropriate length.
2. Which single extracurricular are you most passionate about and why? This is not necessarily the extracurricular to which you commit the most time. Possible answers include a sport, club, volunteer work, summer camp, etc.
- 1-2 paragraphs (maximum 1,500 characters, including spaces) is an appropriate length.
When will I hear if I am accepted?
Early-decision applicants (applied by January 15) will receive admissions decisions in late January. Regular-decision applicants (applied by February 15) hear word in late February. Note that all students applying for financial aid will be evaluated after the February 15 deadline, including those that applied Early Action.
Admissions decisions are conveyed by email to the applicant and their families. Enrollment agreements are due back to HMI by February 20 for Early Action applicants and March 20 for regular-decision applicants.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the HMI Admissions Office at email@example.com or 719-486-8200 x1.